Sunday, March 3, 2013

EDLD 5364 Week 1 Assignment



There were a number of issues or positions that were either reinforced or challenged from my perspective. The issue that I found to be the most challenging is incorporation of social media into the educational process. My experiences, regarding initial negative perceptions, mirror the findings of one of our readings. As I find myself defending, and attempting to implement some very basic and non-evasive social network aspects, I find constant reminders that social networks, despite their performance, promise, and potential – are not without controversy. (McPheeters, 2009) Many of those who oppose implementing a cutting edge technology can only focus on the possibility of negative outcomes. This article provided additional support for the use of social networks in the educational process and provided some personal level of comfort. The results are that students have become oblivious to social networks such that it is no longer viewed as forbidden fruit from their perspective. I think it is time we, as educators should share that perspective.

McPheeters, D. (2009, 03 08). Social networking technologies in education. Retrieved from http://www.techlearning.com/elearning/0030/social-networking-technologies-in-education-by-dallas-mcpheeters/45734

No comments:

Post a Comment